6.23.2017

The Heat Dome


Yesterday during On Point on NPR with Tom Ashbrook (June 22, 2017) there was a fantastic discussion of the Heat Dome that has settled over the South West - with temperatures in the 125+ degrees. One man who works at the airport was working in 118 degree heat overhead and the tarmac was a stifling 180 degrees! The discussion of Climate Change has been going on for awhile, but this program was interesting because it suggested solutions that we will all have to become more aware of as time goes on. From shaded areas, which you are finally seeing more and more of in places like Las Vegas - but are also needed everywhere. It was a great discussion with Charles Redman in particular, he runs the School for Sustainability for Arizona State University, his second moniker is even more interesting: Professor at ASU’s School of Human Evolution and Social Change - how's that for an interesting title, I don't even know this guy and I like him. 

It's something that I put a lot of stock into and I think many people overlook - SHADE! I use it throughout our home and I know my family thinks I'm nuts but I have a system to keep us cool and we don't have AC. It's a series of open windows, shades, etc... The most important planning when building a home is placement of your home with regards to the sun and placement of windows and overhangs (how large or small is the overhang). Watch how cool air moves through your home and use it to keep your home cool without AC. Find the cool breeze and help it to move through your home. For instance in the morning there is almost always a cool breeze at our front door which lasts until about noon or just after, as soon as the sun hits that area I shut the door. 

Your biggest helper is SHADE - our school PTO raises money year after year, and year after year I suggest trees around the playground so that there is shade on the playground, year after year everyone laughs at me - and then we end up buying more technology for the school - it's frustrating but one of these days someone is going to listen and think it's a good idea. Parking lots, why can't they have trees!? It drives me NUTS!

It's a great discussion and I for one, am happy that people are starting to think about these things. It was good to hear this program - some interesting conversations were started.

here is the link to listen to the show on NPR
and type "solar" into my search to find more things I have posted on this subject - this is not a new obsession for me, I'm constantly having this conversation.